Tuesday, June 23, 2020

For Only 5 Minutes


When thinking of a new habit or lifestyle change (or something I don't want to do!), my motto is: "for only 5 minutes."

For only 5 minutes will I.....meditate.
For only 5 minutes will I.....exercise.
For only 5 minutes will I.....eat my salad.
For only 5 minutes will I.....write in my journal.
For only 5 minutes will I.....study for my test.
For only 5 minutes will I.....balance my finances.

In the existential night, it's invigorating to tell myself, "I'll be a new person tomorrow. I'll walk for a mile, eat a bowl of quinoa, type up half my paper, and dress to the nines - all by 9am!" But in the fogginess of the morning? It's snoozing til 9, throwing on a robe, and pouring myself some sugary cereal. Suddenly everything seems too daunting when it's early enough not to remember my own name, let alone immediately enact 15 different lifestyle changes!

Now, I remember for only 5 minutes.

It's easy enough to remember to do something for only 5 minutes and go back to my normal routine. Then after a month, 10 minutes. Then 15. And then 20. My current goals are mediation and stretches in the morning. I'll update next month to see if I've been consistent and if I can move up to 10 minutes. Good changes, slowly but surely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment